Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

SONG 3 The Banjo Borrower

I reckon that if you're going to use someone's instrument, you should ask first. It's the polite thing to do.

The day I chose to do the "10 songs in 6 hours" exercise, my Viking Warrior was out working hard. But he'd left his banjo lying in my sightline.

It's not any old banjo either, it's a Gibson RB4 with a walnut resonator which he bought in Nashville at the legendary Gruen's Guitars when we were there last year. I helped choose it, along with the aid of an over the phone consultation to my mate, Adam, back in Australia.

My little let'snotworryaboutyourselfrighteousmoralcode voice suggested I open the case and have a bit of play without asking him. I halfheartedly resisted, but ended up making a hypocrite of myself when temptation got the better of me. As I opened the case, I justified borrowing the instrument by telling myself that I'd been there when he bought the banjo and he was my boyfriend so all share in love and war (hang on that's not right!).  And so, without asking, I got it out of the case and went for it.

Now, my Viking Warrior is a very laid back fellow and wouldn't have minded at all, but I bloody well minded as I indulged in my guilty pleasure.

The song suggests the trouble I should've got into (but didn't) if my fella was a hard arse like me, except I'm not really either, thus the banjo borrowing.

Bloody hell, I'll stop digging now. Here's the rather silly banjo song re-recorded on my rather crap banjo back in Melbourne.

THE BANJO BORROWER
Chords: Just a straight  I IV V combination. Very stock standard and predictable.

Lyrics:
I took his banjo out of it's case
I sat his banjo on my knee
While he's been out working
I've been picking at those strings
Lord, he's gonna crucify me.

I sat at the table and wrote him a song
To sing to him when he comes home
When he pulls up in his tyre fitters truck
I'll sing, "Babe, can't leave your banjo alone"

I took his banjo out of it's case
I sat his banjo on my knee
While he's been out working
I've been picking at those strings
Lord, he's gonna crucify me.

I put his banjo back into his case
Hoping that he'd never guess
But my baby has a way of knowing where I've been
He's so good I may as well confess that

I took his banjo out of it's case
I sat his banjo on my knee
While he's been out working
I've been picking at those strings
Lord, he's gonna crucify me.

RECORDING:

TOMORROW'S SONG IS ABOUT AN INTERSTATE MOVE!



No comments:

Post a Comment