Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

From Brunswick West to Kurrajong

I've never lived outside of Melbourne, except for 9 months spent in Fiji in another life. I was so homesick for the first three months that I cried nearly everyday and had a pretty rotten time of it. Once I was over that bit, I had a pretty good time. Upon my return to Melbourne all those years ago, I stayed  and other than moving suburbs, have never ventured far from this comfortable city except for holidays and band tours. But, over the last few years I've had a growing desire to leave this comfort of the familiar to experience other places and people on a more permanent basis.

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable, from a Melburnians point of view, and leaving my hometown for Sydney. Of course, the thought brings with it a myriad of anxieties and concerns. From, where will I work and how will I earn money? To, can I really handle the relentless traffic and harder edges of this glittering city? From, where the hell am I going to live? To, how can I leave my daughter? Even though she no longer lives at home, I'm still her mother so shouldn't I at least live in the same state as her?

But there's this insistent call of love and music coming from the north and that road to Sydney is only a few blocks from where I live.

Song 4 is about the call of the road.  The chord progression is unashamedly ripped off from another song but given that I don't mean to profit from the work, and will never release it commercially as it's only part of a writing exercise written in about 36 minutes, I don't much care.

CHORDS: A cliched progression of G D Em C cycled through the entire song.

LYRICS:
In six months time
I'm heading up the Hume
I need a new adventure
Need to fly a little closer to you

Melbourne's been my home
For all my little life
I"m growing tired of it's story
Growing tired of my southbound bass strait eyes

Oh the road leads me on
From Brunswick West to Kurrajong
To your mountain home and your bushman's song
Oh that road leads me on

Could I stay in Bondi Beach?
Afford a harbour view?
Get a houseboat on the Hawkesbury?
Or a chalet in the blue blue mountains?

Will the rentals be too high
The roads always be this clogged
Will I find the perfect house
Will I find another job in Sydney?


Oh the road leads me on
From Brunswick West to Kurrajong
To your mountain home and your bushman's song
Oh that road leads me on

RECORDING

TOMORROW: THE SOUND WORLD OF THE 3PM SLUMP IN NTH RICHMOND, SYDNEY





No comments:

Post a Comment